Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Sony BMG not sorry about putting virus-like program on CDs

A few days ago I wrote about the whole Sony CD spyware incident. Well "Sony BMG was unapologetic in its mission to use anti-piracy technology. '(It) is an important tool to protect our intellectual property rights and those of our artists,' Sony stated (Sony Still On The Hot Seat by Antone Gonsalves, InternetWeek.com)." So their important tool is ok to force on their consumers' computers without asking them? Well Sony, you are going to lose a lot of customers. You lost one right here too.

The program that is on about 19-20 Sony CDs is XCP (eXtended Copy Protection) copy-protection technology. Sony BMG is temporarily stopping the manufacturing of CDs containing the XCP technology. Notice the word temporarily, so Sony BMG will stop for now (so they say) but later they will probably continue to put this spyware on their CDs. I know I am going to stop buying any Sony CDs and I may never buy one again. Why would I buy something that may break my computer or worse spy on me (and maybe steal sensitive or personal data)? I've read about other people who are now going to boycott all Sony products. I think that may be a little too extreme but it does make you think, are they doing this to other products they sell? Are other companies doing this? Hopefully not my PlayStation 2! Read more about the XCP software.

No comments: