Thursday, April 16, 2009

My NHL playoff predictions

It's that time of the hockey season, playoff time, the best time in my opinion. I'm listing my predictions below of who will win in the first round of the playoffs. I'm no expert by any means, as last year I was awful in my predictions lol. Let me know who you think will win in the first round playoff series. Here are the matchups:

Eastern Conference

(8) Montreal Canadiens vs (1) Boston Bruins

(7) New York Rangers vs (2) Washington Capitals

(6) Carolina Hurricanes vs (3) New Jersey Devils

(5) Philadelphia Flyers vs (4) Pittsburgh Penguins


Western Conference

(8) Anaheim Ducks vs (1) San Jose Sharks

(7) Columbus Blue Jackets vs (2) Detroit Red Wings

(6) St. Louis Blues vs (3) Vancouver Canucks

(5) Calgary Flames vs (4) Chicago Blackhawks


My Picks

Montreal Canadiens vs Boston Bruins - My pick for winner in this series is the Boston Bruins. I say in six games. I'm so looking forward to this rivalry in the playoffs again. Anyone who saw their last game knows just how heated things can get. Milan Lucic and Mike Komisarek may have the best rivalry in hockey right now.

New York Rangers vs Washington Capitals - My pick for winner in this series is the New York Rangers. This was a hard pick because the Capitals have the offense to do serious damage, but I don't trust goalie Jose Theodore to lead them past a series and I'm not sure about their defense. With the Rangers their offense at times shows up and other times doesn't. But having Henrik Lundqvist, I think he will win them this series. Rangers also have more grittiness and toughness, especially with the Capitals being without tough guy Donald Brashear.

Carolina Hurricanes vs New Jersey Devils - My pick for winner in this series is the New Jersey Devils. All I can say is Martin Brodeur, as he will carry them through this series. But that's nothing new right? :)

Philadelphia Flyers vs Pittsburgh Penguins - My pick for winner in this series is the Pittsburgh Penguins. Flyers just take too many penalties. Martin Biron at times can be shaky. This should be a tough heated series as well.

Anaheim Ducks vs San Jose Sharks - My pick for winner in this series is the San Jose Sharks. The Sharks offense will just be too much for the Ducks. But I could see a possible upset here with the Ducks as they got the playoff experience needed.

Columbus Blue Jackets vs Detroit Red Wings - My pick for winner in this series is the Columbus Blue Jackets. Yup the biggest upset of the playoffs right here. Blue Jackets with rookie goalie Steve Mason and R.J. Umberger who seems to get hot in the playoffs I think can pull off this upset.

St. Louis Blues vs Vancouver Canucks - My pick for winner in this series is the Vancouver Canucks. Canucks have Roberto Luongo and they'll go as far as he can take them. Hopefully the Canucks can help with some offense for Luongo though.

Calgary Flames vs Chicago Blackhawks - My pick for winner in this series is the Calgary Flames. Blackhawks have a young team, but they do have goalie Nikolai Khabibulin who has been there before. But I think the grittiness of the Flames with leaders Jarome Iginla and Dion Phaneuf, and the play of Mikka Kiprusoff will carry them past this round.


If you disagree with my picks, let me know and tell me your predictions.

No comments: