Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My round 2 NHL playoff predictions

Wow, I was way off on some of my predictions of the first round of the NHL playoffs. With the round 2 matchups set, I came up with some predictions of mine. Here are the matchups:

Eastern Conference

(1) Boston Bruins vs (6) Carolina Hurricanes

(2) Washington Capitals vs (4) Pittsburgh Penguins


Western Conference

(2) Detroit Red Wings vs (8) Anaheim Ducks

(3) Vancouver Canucks vs (4) Chicago Blackhawks


My Picks

Boston Bruins vs Carolina Hurricanes - My pick for winner of this series is the Boston Bruins. The Bruins are playing great right now and hopefully the long time off doesn't negatively affect their playing. The Hurricanes have been hot ever since the trade deadline, and Eric Cole in the past has owned the Bruins. The Bruins must shut him down along with Eric Staal of course. Cam Ward is also playing good once again in the playoffs.

Washington Capitals vs Pittsburgh Penguins - My pick for winner of this series is tough to choose, but I'm picking the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Penguins have more offensive punch with Crosby and Malkin, but I wonder how rookie goalie Simeon Varlamov will fair against them. We'll find out if he can do as well against them as he did against the low-offense Rangers.

Detroit Red Wings vs Anaheim Ducks - My pick for winner of this series is another tough one, but I'm going to go with the Anaheim Ducks with another upset. Jonas Hiller is just playing amazing right now and the Ducks defense looks good. Should be a tough battle with these two teams.

Vancouver Canucks vs Chicago Blackhawks - My pick for winner of this series is the Chicago Blackhawks. The Blackhawks young team showed a lot in beating the Calgary Flames and I think they can beat the Canucks. Khabibulin will have to be great and Toews will have to continue his solid play. But beating Roberto Luongo four games will be tough.


Let me know your picks for round 2 of the NHL playoffs.

No comments: