Friday, August 07, 2009

Abbreviations for chatting online

I read an article on The Wall Street Journal web site titled "Quick! Tell Us What KUTGW Means" and after reading through it I did not know most of the abbreviations they listed in the article. I don't text much but I do use abbreviations for things when texting or playing online games. Here's a list of some of the basic ones I know that may help others if they don't know them.

afk = away from keyboard
brb = be right back
imo = in my opinion
lmao = laughing my ass off
lol = laughing out loud
nsfw = not safe for work
omg = oh my god
rofl = rolling on the floor laughing
ttyl = talk to you later
ty = thank you
yw = you're welcome

The Wall Street Journal article also gives links to a few sites that you look up to see what some abbreviations mean, such as NetLingo.com and UrbanDictionary.com.

No comments: