Saturday, September 05, 2009

Disqus comments for Joomla extension

So today I've been busy trying to update my adamwlad.com site, but I haven't done much as things just come up out of no where it seems. I first updated the site to the latest version of Joomla (as of today 1.5.14), as I use the Joomla CMS for that site. Then I found the Disqus Comment System for Joomla! by JoomlaWorks Plugin so I downloaded it. I was very excited about this plugin because Disqus seems to be the best commenting system out there right now for sites. So after downloading it, I looked for installation instructions and could not find any. I found my way through Joomla and was able to install it and made sure it worked after some time playing around with it.

So since I couldn't find installation instructions I thought I would make some since I was able to install it. It's really not that hard to install. Here's what you do to install and enable the Disqus Comment System for Joomla! by JoomlaWorks Plugin for your Joomla site:
  1. If you don't have an account with Disqus, then create one and add your web site to the account
  2. First download the extension, you can find the link on the home page of Joomla Works. You have to scroll down the page until you see "Disqus Comments for Joomla!"
  3. After downloading the ZIP file, go to the Administrator area of your Joomla site
  4. Hover on the "Extensions" tab and click "Install/Uninstall"
  5. Under "Upload Package File", click the "Browse" button and find the ZIP file you downloaded, then click the upload button
  6. It's now installed but we need to enable it, so again hover on the "Extensions" tab, click "Plugin Manager" and find the plugin named "Disqus Comment System for Joomla! (by JoomlaWorks)" and click it
  7. On the left side, click the radio button to enable the plugin. On the right site, in the "Your Disqus subdomain" field, add the "Site Shortname" you gave to your site when setting it up on Disqus.com
  8. Also on the right side you can choose which pages you want to have Disqus comments appear on and if you want to show the comment count on the page
  9. You're now done and you can click "Save"
  10. Go to your site and check it out. You can modify how the Disqus comments look but you'll have to do it on the Disqus.com site.

I hope this mini-tutorial helps anyone who has had trouble installing the Disqus comments Joomla extension on their site. If you have any questions or comments feel free to leave a comment here.

No comments: