Sunday, December 11, 2011

APB: Reloaded reviewed by GameSpy

One of the games I want to try whenever I get a new better computer is APB: Reloaded. GameSpy had a review recently on the game and what I take from it is that APB: Reloaded is not the best game but it's free to play and if you're into free roaming cities with action and driving and teamwork then give it a try.

Where to begin? APB's missions lack variety and feature the narrative depth of a mud puddle. Playing as an Enforcer (the "cop" faction), I didn't feel like a pissed-off citizen driven to become a vigilante in a city run ragged by criminals. I felt like a player with a green name shooting at a player with a red name for no other reason than the color difference. Worse, I never felt like I was "raiding a drug den" or "securing evidence" as the brief mission description paragraph of text tried to lead me to believe. I felt like I was going to point A on my map to press F on an objective before going to point B to repeat.

...

As for gunplay being unbalanced, sniper rifles, in particular, should be labeled "death dealers." Because there is no locational damage, you can land a shot anywhere on your target with a sniper rifle and instantly sap half your enemy's life. Two shots equals death. Because they are so accurate, powerful, quick to aim, and effective at long range, facing a foe using a sniper rifle is like playing against a hacker using Aimbot.

...

I earned a ton of in-game cash by completing objectives (which come rapid fire), and at no time did I feel like I had to plunk down my Visa to even the playing field. I'm happy to report APB: Reloaded has avoided the pay-to-win trap.
Source

No comments: